Going paperless & printer-less
FourPoints Sydney digitises heavily paper-based processes, saves 2.5m yearly prints and $1.5m over 5 years
The FourPoints Darling Harbour is an exclusive 5-star Sydney hotel, receiving hundreds of bookings and enquiries every day. Reservations, invoices & other documents used to be printed for distribution to various departments, resulting in over 3 million prints every year. In addition to inefficiencies, this was amounting to a significant operational cost.
- Complex paper trail: Reservations & invoices, often received via email, were printed, signed off, photocopied & faxed, distributed to various departments, then stored.
- Tedious paper work: in addition to time-consuming printing and handling, Front Desk staff had to step away to handle documents. Occasionally documents were lost, resulting in extra work and customer inconvenience.
- Heavy paper logistics: invoices were shuttled to Accounting via courier on a daily basis. Storage was a logistical headache, with Finance & HR documents legally required to be stored 7-21 years.
- High paper costs: printing over 3m pages every year, at a cost of 10 cents per page over the lifetime of the document – a cost of over $300,000 per annum. Not to mention high overheads for long-term printer/copier contracts.
With DocMX, incoming reservations, invoices and other documents are directly scanned into the system or automatically captured from PDF and other electronic sources as appropriate.
They are then digitally distributed to various departments via an automated workflow for approval or other actions; employees collaborate directly on the system.
Documents can be easily retrieved on the system anytime, by all authorised personnel. They are stored electronically for the duration required by local legislation.
Saving $1,500,000 in printing costs over 5 years:
- The new process resulted in reducing printing volumes by 2.5 million pages per year. At a cost of 10 cents per page (incl. stationary, storage, archiving…) the hotel thus saved $1,250,000 over 5 years.
- Furthermore, the client was able to cut from 13 to 3 printers-copiers, saving an estimated $200,000+ over the typical 5-year copier lease with a monthly cost of $350.
- The new process also virtually eliminated faxing expenditure, especially to high-cost international numbers.
Staff saved valuable time with reduced manual input, paperwork handling, physical shipping and storage. The Front Desk and offices were de-cluttered with no need for filing cabinets. Guest experience improved as reservations or invoices can be instantly retrieved & emailed.
The hotel also significantly improved its environmental footprint, saving an estimated 1500 trees over 5 years, as well as reams of toxic ink cartridges.
Management was satisfied that the investment in the new system paid off within just a few months.
Read more customer success stories:
A leading hospitality group in Asia-Pacific centralised their Finance, HR and payroll services into a single SSC in Sydney to service their entire Australian operation.